Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Big Give - how can you help?


It’s the time of the year when our thoughts naturally turn to Christmas and the festive time ahead. The stores are filling with decorations and soon carols will be heard in every shopping centre. It’s a time where we naturally reflect on Christmases past and look forward to what this year will bring.

As a child, my favourite Christmases were those where the whole family was packed around Grandma's big table. Pulling bon bons, wearing silly hats and telling dumb jokes. Eating too much and still having left-overs. My uncle always asking, "so Nay, what's the goss" and all the kids laughing because it sounded so silly!

Now I have my own family and we have all grown up, things are different - but still the so much the same. Family, friends and lots of good food. My uncle still asks "so Nay, what's the goss?' and I still laugh.

I can't be certain, but I would guess you could relate to my Christmases... some things will be different, sure... but I bet the core elements- the food, the family and the friends - are the same. Because really, that's what special Christmases are made of, aren't they?

Last Christmas - Gracie and I

As a parent, I can't imagine the desperation, the heartache of knowing I couldn't make Christmas special for my family. And it's not the toys, the gifts - it's the family and the friends. Having someone care and want to spend time chatting and asking me "what's the goss?". Having enough food to have eaten too much and still have left overs.

This year, we will be adding something new to our family Christmas memories, as we spend the day with those less fortunate. We will be extending our circle and enjoying a very big table, hopefully piled high with food and lots of laughter, a
s we work with St Mary’s House of Welcome and a dedicated team of volunteers in putting on The Big Give.

The Big Give has one aim - no one should be alone on Christmas Day.

This year, The Big Give will be hosting around 300 homeless and disadvantaged families for Christmas lunch at the Fitzroy Town Hall. Now in it's 7th year, The Big Give has become something of a Melbourne institution. It relies heavily on generous donations and volunteers to ensure this event is a special one for all the guests.

So, we are asking, can you afford to share some of your skills or time to make Christmas special for people who may otherwise have to spend it alone? Details of specifics required are to come in later posts, but if you think you may be able to help we would urge you to contact us via email at: occasions@theinspiredoccasion.com.au


3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic experience to give your children girls. I look forward to hearing how your Christmas Day changed lives.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharnel - we are very excited about this one. So grateful to be in a position to help those less fortunate than us, and to give our kids a valuable life experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing you are doing. I LOVE Christmas and I do worry about people who cant give their children a wonderful experience.Piccadilly Market is having a big, huge amazing raffle at the 28th November pre Christmas Market and proceeds are going to a family I have adopted through the Geelong Advertiser. http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/extras/specials/AAF-2010/index.html
    Nice to know that people more fortunate are helping others.

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...