So with the table set with classic whites and the fine silver cutlery out the work began to create a menu that could be prepared ahead of time allowing plenty of socialisation with our guests.
After endless hours browsing on the internet the menu was finalised
Entree - Platters of Fresh cold seafood
Main - Slow cooked pork belly: http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/15459/succulent-slow-roasted-pork-belly-with-crispy-crackling.aspx
Dessert - Homemade assortment of Macarons and a Cheese, Greens and Maggies Beer platter.
The entire menu was planned around pre prep and opportunity to enjoy the evening. The seafood platters were arranged on the platters and simply brought out to the table on arrival. The Slow cooked pork cooking in the oven for 7 hours, simply fell apart which made it easy to plate along with the steamed greens/baby carrot and a potato gratin that was also prepared the day before.
Even the dessert was pre prepared and again simply brought to the table when required. And after our recent trip to South Australia who can say no to some Maggie Beer Quince paste with an assortment of bree, cambert, blue and vintage cheddar cheese.
Some beautiful Champagne and Barossa Valley wines were served throughout the evening and the only stress to be had was loading the dishwasher at the end of the night.
The Inspired Occasion's top 10 Tips to hosting a Dinner Party
- Prepare as much as you can the day before
- Have a menu you are familiar with (Never try a recipe you have not cooked before)
- Have a chat with the kids and make sure they understand your expectations of them and bedtime planned to avoid any defiance
- Set your table the day before (polish that glass wear and silver wear)
- Shopping List - Check it off as you go
- Devise a time line of what needs to happen when
- Open your red wines early and allow them to breath or use an aerator
- Use a butcher you trust and explain it's for a special occasion (our butcher cut us a fresh piece of meat and gave us an extra length of crackle!!)
- Have a selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages on offer and always have a jug/craft of water on the table
- Most importantly Enjoy!! the evening.
Until our next post, The Inspired Occasion!!