Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A birthday picnic in yellow & grey

It's been a busy few days in the Inspired Occasion headquarters with two fun events last weekend, styled by us.

We promise to share both of these with you over the coming weeks, but for tonight, we are showcasing a stylish picnic that we styled on Sunday. This one was special, as it was for my birthday and being the client for once, was super fun!

I really wanted something simple, yet stylish. Relaxed, but pretty. Lots of good food, that had to be easy to eat and transport to a local park. We settled on a yellow and grey theme, with lots of fresh flowers thrown in.

We set the scene with a simple invite, encompassing all the details, which I cheated and emailed out to all our guests.

Given we are in Melbourne, we knew we would have to be wary of the weather. It's been a crazy couple of weeks, with sunshine one moment and pouring rain the next. So even though we chose a local park, we decided to purchase a marquee to protect us from the sunshine and/or rain.

As it turned out, it was a beautiful hot day - and we were very grateful for the marquee and the shade it provided. However, some of the photo's do have a slight green tinge to them due to this... please forgive this and enjoy the photo's!

I had a go at making string lanterns... so happy with how they turned out. 
Let me know if you are interested in a tutorial.


My fabulous Camberwell Market find table... with a lick of paint, it was perfect!








Lots and lots of food! Alex put together a fabulous table with; anti-pasto, some wonderful cheeses, smoked salmon, deli meats, chicken wings, mini quiches, lots of dips and some of Alex's famous home made meatloaf. All served with some crisp breads, lots of good champagne and even some of my favourite girly beers! 

We finished up with carrot cake (with extra cream cheese frosting!!), my mum's home made lemon slice and some chocolate dipped wafers...By that point though, we forgot to take any good photo's - so you will have to imagine how good it was!





It was a really lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon, surrounded by friends and family - who could want a nicer way to spend your birthday.

I have to do some special thank you's to my husband, Alex's husband, my mum and my step-dad for carrying all this set up to the park, putting up with my 'fussing' over the table, waiting until I had taken 500 photo's before they were allowed to eat and then helping us to pack it all up again at the end! And also to Kristy for amusing the kids while we set up - what a gem!

Another big thank you to Alex for all her help - she really does a great job, is so patient and is able to pull a clients vision into reality! Trust me - I can vouch for her!

Thanks for sticking with me - I know it's a long post tonight. We will be back tomorrow night with another fabulous Euro style post from Claire.

Cheers,

4 comments:

  1. oh yum....the food looks delicious! Love the fresh flowers and the simple summery feel. Gorgeous. And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jem! That's exactly the feel we were going for - and thanks for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks just wonderful - so pleased the weather held out for you and a big happy birthday. Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...